Apply for Building Permits OnlineThe following steps describe the needed actions to obtain a building permit.
A building permit is required for all construction within the Cottonwood Heights, except:
- One-story detached accessory buildings less than 200 square feet that meet setback and height requirements;
- Floor coverings (i.e. carpet, hardwood, tile, etc.) for residential projects;
- Interior wall coverings (wallpaper, paint, paneling, etc.) for residential projects;
- Private fencing that meets city zoning requirements.
Plan requirements differ based on the nature of your project. For example, some projects don’t require plans at all, while others may require extensively detailed plans. For specific plan requirements, click the option below that applies to your project:
Most Building Permits
- Building Codes and Other Standards
- Construction Mitigation Plan
- Storm Water Review Checklist
- Zoning and Setbacks
Residential Single Family Plans
- New Residential Dwelling
- Residential Remodel
- How to Determine the First Story on a Slope
- How to Measure Building Height
Supplemental Residential Plans and Standards
- Accessory Buildings
- Driveway Standards
- Fencing and Clear View
- Outdoor Lighting
- Solar Installation
- Swimming Pools
- Owner/Builder Certification
Commercial and Multi-Family Plans
We only accept online applications.
- Click the "Online Permit Application" at the top of this webpage; OR
- Download the app "iWorq Service Request" in your app store:
- If asked for "AGENCY CODE" while submitting permit, enter: Cot01
- Upload building plans to the online application. We cannot accept an application without accompanying plans.
- If plans end up being too large for the iWorq system to accept, please email them to email@example.com and include your request number.
- Submit building permit fees (see below).
- Please visit the office or call (801) 944-7000 to pay building permit fees.
- Building permits will not be processed until the building permit fees are received.
- Fees less than $2500: Cash, check, money order, or major credit cards (except American Express).
- Fees greater than $2,500: Check or money order only.
- Once payment is submitted, it may take 5 to 7 business days for the permit application to be processed and distributed to permit reviewers (see Step 5).
Permit Cost Estimate
The permit fee is based on the cost valuation of construction. Use the calculator below to find the approximate cost of your building permit. Enter your project's valuation to the nearest $1000.
Note that additional fees, such as zoning review fees and impact fees, may apply, based on the city's fee schedule.
- After the permit has been processed and accepted, expect up to 14 business days for a complete first review from permit reviewers.
- A detailed corrections list will be emailed to the applicant when plans are deficient in meeting city regulations.
- If the plans are deemed correct, please skip to Step 7.
- Email corrected plans back to the city staff member that sent you the required corrections list.
- To resubmit additional/corrected plans email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- **Include your request number in the subject line.
- Expect up to 10 business days for a complete review of revised plans.
- After a permit is fully approved, staff will prepare a printed building permit package for the applicant to pickup.
- The permit should be on the building site at all times.
To schedule an inspection, please click on the “Inspections Requests/Details” button at the top of this webpage. *Do not include dashes. The scheduling system only accepts numeric values.