Apply for Building Permits OnlineClick the "Online Permit Application" above OR download the App ("iWorq Service Request" in your app store) to get started.
- The review period does not start until payment has been received.
(Expect up to 14 business days for 1st review and 10 additional days
if corrections are required.)
- We cannot accept an application without accompanying plans.
- It may take 5 to 7 days for the Permit Request to be processed.
- Once the building permit request has been submitted please call to
make payment at 801-944-7000 to pay by credit card or
come to the office.
- All major credit cards accepted except American Express.
(fees over $2500 by check only)
- To resubmit additional/corrected plans email to: firstname.lastname@example.org - Hard copies of plans required at end of review process for stamps.
- If asked for "AGENCY CODE" while submitting permit, enter: Cot01
- Call our office for any questions. 801-944-7000
**Note: We only accept online application submittals.**
- Tinted Primer REQUIRED on all HVAC PVC
1) Do I Need a Permit?
A building permit is required for all construction within the city, excluding the following:
- One-story detached accessory buildings less than 200 square feet that meet setback and height requirements;
- Floor coverings (i.e. carpet, hardwood, tile, etc.) for residential projects;
- Interior wall coverings (wallpaper, paint, paneling, etc.) for residential projects;
- Private fencing that meets city zoning requirements.
2) Plan Submittal Requirements
Plan requirements differ based on the nature of your project. In fact, some projects don’t require plans at all. For specific plan requirements, click the option below that applies to your project:
- Residential Remodel
- UNDER CONSTRUCTION
- New Residential Dwelling
- Commercial Tenant Improvement
- Solar Installation
- Stormwater Review Checklist
- Swimming Pools
- Residential Driveway Standards
- Owner/Builder Certification
3) Permit Cost Estimate
The permit fee is based on the cost valuation of construction. Use the calculator below to find the approximate cost of your building permit. Enter your project's valuation to the nearest $1000.
Note that additional fees, such as zoning review fees and impact fees, may apply, based on the city's fee schedule.
Payments greater than $2,500 must be made in the form of a check. For payments less than $2,500, the city accepts cash, checks, or credit cards (excluding American Express).
The Building Department is located at 2277 East Bengal Boulevard, and can be reached at (801) 944-7069 during business hours. Building Department services are provided by Sunrise Engineering.